Monday, February 15, 2010

Better than Grandma's Mashed Potatoes

I made these mashed potatoes using a recipe in my pressure cooker cookbook and my kids loved them.  In fact, they said, "These are even better than grandma's!"  That was a first for me, so I wanted to share.  Also, using the pressure cooker makes homemade mashed potatoes a snap.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

2 lbs russet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled), diced
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken broth  (I use 1 1/2 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
......................
1 TBS margarine
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients except margarine and salt and pepper in pressure cooker.  Close cover securely.  Bring to pressure according to your cooker's instructions.  Cook 5 minutes once the cooker has come to pressure.  Cool cooker at once.  Remove the lid.  Leave all liquid or drain off desired amount (I usually drain off about 1/2 of the liquid for our tastes) .  Add margarine and mash potatoes using a potato masher or hand mixer until desired consistency.  Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

0 comments: